Columbus Attorney Guides You through Naturalization
Law firm helps you gain U.S. citizenship
Naturalization is the process through which permanent residents become U.S. citizens. Citizenship has many advantages, including the right to vote, right to hold certain jobs, right to receive certain federal grants, and right to sponsor your relatives. For green card holders, citizenship also means the end of fears about being removed from the US or told that you abandoned your permanent resident status because you were outside the US too long. . Applying for citizenship can be a complicated process. You can trust Roxi A. Liming, the experienced immigration law attorney at Adams & Liming, LLC, LLC, to guide you through the process.
How do I apply for naturalization?
Under U.S. immigration law, permanent residents may apply for citizenship if:
- They are at least 18 years or older
- Have held permanent resident status for five years, or three years if married to a US citizen
- They were physically present in the United States for at least half of the five-year period before the application (or half of the three-year period if married to a US citizen)
- They are of good moral character.
- They are able to read, written and speak basic English.
- They understand of the history, principles and form of government of the United States and are able to pass a test.
- In some instances, waivers of the length of permanent residence and the testing requirements might be obtained.
Steps for Obtaining Citizenship
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can complete the Form N-400.
- You must be fingerprinted by USCIS and pass an FBI background check.
- Once you pass the background check, you will be interviewed at your local USCIS office. You will take your test at the interview. You will be tested on your knowledge of US history and the US government system. You will also be tested on your ability to read, write, and speak basic English.
- Upon successful completion of test, you will be invited to attend a ceremony where you will take the oath of allegiance to the US and will received your naturalization certificate
Our attorneys have helped clients through the naturalization process for many years. We guide you through the process and provide you with the resources you need to succeed.
Columbus naturalization attorney serves clients throughout Ohio
At Adams & Liming, LLC, LLC, we understand how important citizenship is to you. We are available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, and by appointment at other times. We serve clients in Columbus and throughout Ohio. Contact us at 614-488-2053 or online to schedule a free 15-minute consultation.